Whether we like it or not, people judge us based on how we look and often do it without even meaning to.
It’s an automatic reflex. We’re programmed to try and figure out as much information as possible from the people we meet based on how they look. That includes the kind of clothes they’re wearing, the way they wear their hair and even small details such as their fingernails.
The state of your fingernails speaks a lot of you as a person and if that’s not enough of a reason to take care of them, keep in mind that the state of your fingernails also has an impact on your health.But before we breach the subject of why proper nail hygiene is important let’s talk a bit about your fingernails.
** Below, you'll find more detailed reviews, but you can click links above to see current prices and read customer's review on Amazon to find the best fingernail clipper.
What are Fingernails and Why Do We Have Them?
There’s not a simple explanation for this but there are two solid theories.
- Fingernails are a side effect of us losing our claws, which would’ve made handling small objects and tools harder or even impossible.
- Fingernails are a natural adaptation resulted of our ancestor’s fingertips becoming broader as they evolved.
Regardless of the explanation, fingernails can help protect our fingers and can also help us keep track of our health, as some diseases and illnesses can change the color and texture of our fingernails.
Why You Should Clip Your Nails?
The biggest reason why you should keep your nails clean and trim is because you use your hands for basically everything you do.
Think about it: You use your hands to clean after yourself, to play with your pets, to handle money, to interact with other people, to cook, to eat and many more things.
During these interactions, all kinds of dirt accumulates under your fingernails which can lead to diseases, infections and other unpleasant things.
Having a proper nail hygiene can help you prevent all these, as well as some of the following problems:
Bacteria isn’t the only thing you can pick up and while fungus are far more likely to happen on your toenails, they can happen on your fingernails too.
Clipping your fingernails can help you get rid of any kind of fungus before it spreads and washing your hands properly, as well as drying them well, helps even further.
Ingrown nails are what happens when your own nails curve at the corners and the sides, digging into the soft flesh and piercing your skin.
In the best cases, this can lead to pain and swelling. In more serious cases, this can cause painful and dangerous infections.
The state of our fingernails is often judged by others, even when they don’t say anything about it. Clean and trim nails show you have good hygiene and care about your appearances.
Plus, if you happen to work in the food industry, clean and trim fingernails are an absolute must.
How to Keep Your Fingernails Looking their Best?
There are 9 easy steps you need to follow to make sure your fingernails look and feel great.
- Keep your fingernails tidy and dry: Dry your hands thoroughly after washing them. If your hands are in constant contact with water, such as if you wash dishes, or if you constantly handle harsh chemicals, use rubber gloves to keep your hands, and fingernails, dry.
- Don’t bite your fingernails: This can damage your nails permanently, particularly if you also pick at your cuticles. Leave those alone to prevent bacteria or fungi from growing.
- Keep your fingernails trimmed: Use fingernail clippers to trim your nails. The proper way of doing this is cutting straight at the top and rounding the tips.
- Don’t pull off hangnails: This isn’t only painful but can remove live and healthy tissue, leading to infection and even scarring.
- Use hand cream or moisturizer: Hand creams help keep your skin and cuticles soft and healthy. If your fingernails are particularly rough, use a special moisturizer to help you with this.
- Avoid harsh nail products: Acetone-free polish removers are often your best choice since acetone can dry and damage your nails, even if you use it very little.
- Strengthen brittle nails: If you have weak fingernails it’s time to strengthen them. There are nail polishes created specifically for this, as well as certain nutritional supplements that can help you thicken your nails.
- Use protective polish: Some nail polishes offer an extra layer of protection to your nails and most of them do this without adding any kind of color so you can wear them without worrying about other people noticing.
- Don’t ignore problems: If you’ve noticed discoloration, change in nail thickness, spotting, dryness or any other problem consult your dermatologist or doctors as this can be a problem with your nails or a sign that something is wrong somewhere else in your body.
You may have noticed that keeping your fingernails trimmed is one of the main steps towards having clean and healthy nails which is why now we’re going to review the top 5 fingernail clippers in the market so you can choose the one that works for you!
Reviews of The Best Fingernail Clipper
These stainless steel clippers show that sometimes it’s worth paying more for quality, particularly when it comes to something you use at least once a month.
These clippers are sharp, sturdy and well made, offering a sharp cutting edge that will lead to neatly trimmed nails time and time again.
Their small size makes them perfect to carry around with you but it can make handling them hard for people with larger hands but work just fine for everyone else, particularly for people with short fingers.
Since they’re made with stainless steel they won’t rust, which is a huge plus if you store them in your bathroom, and they won’t lose their shine as chrome plated clippers tend to do.
If the idea of spending a lot of money on fingernail clippers isn’t something you like, then this model is the one for you. Durable and sturdy, these clippers are made out of stainless steel which can be sterilized and disinfected to use again and again with excellent results and with no risk of rusting.
These clippers are curved, rather than straight, which makes them ideal for cutting the edge of your fingernails and even giving them a fashionable, rounded look.
The clippers are sharp and can cut your nails right through. A feature the manufacturers are so certain of that they offer a lifetime warranty on their product.These clippers lack a file but they make up for this with a sturdy holster that keeps the edge of the clippers sharp and strong.
When it comes to fingernail clippers precision is key, as fingernails tend to be small and difficult to cut, particularly if you’re aiming for something beautiful rather than practical or if you’re thinking about giving a small trim to already long nails.
These clippers come with a built in filer, which is located on the body of the clipper themselves and a nail catcher, though the way it was built still leaves some nail clippers fall from time to time. (It’s nothing some masking tape won’t solve but you can also remove the nail catcher if you prefer not to deal with it at all.
Unlike the other two articles on this list, these clippers are quite long which makes it possible to maneuver them in just about any angle which explains why these clippers are so popular with nail stylists.
The Seki are made with stainless steel which gives them a noticeable and comfortable weight that show the quality of the materials used to build it. They’re incredibly sharp and will cut through your nails quickly and cleanly.
That said, if you have thick nails then these are probably not the ones for you.
In fact, large hands with thick fingers might find it hard to handle these clippers as they’re quite slim and somewhat dainty.
While our previous entries are capable of handling thin and small nails just fine, it takes a special kind of clippers to tackle the task of trimming thick nails.
These clippers are strong, sturdy and easy to use, thanks to their large size and comfortable weight.
They come with an industrial strength nail file that promises to deliver wonderful results while lasting for years, even while being used regularly and they also include a built in nail catcher that traps all your nail clippings safely and without a problem.
These clippers aren’t cheap at all and in fact they’re amongst the most expensive in this list but rest assured the price reflects their quality.
Another good aspect is the fact that these clippers are strong enough that they can cut toenails as well, making them a great tool to acquire for your home.
The size of these clippers make them a bit hard to use for people with small hands but everyone else should have no problem with the and will actually come to appreciate the large size of these clippers.
Stylish looking and made with stainless steel, these nail clippers are designed to provide a smooth experience from start to finish.
They’re not particularly affordable compared to some of the clippers included in this list but they’re great at what they do so if you don’t mind spending some extra money in getting quality then these are definitely the product for you.
The Kai are considerably more heavy duty than drugstore brand nail clippers and they have a great curved design that make trimming your nails that much easier.
These clippers include a built in file but it’s attached to the plastic nail catcher which means it feels rather wonky and in fact you might just end removing in order to handle it with more ease. That said, the file has great quality and can shape and file your nails without a problem.
Last, but not least, since these clippers are made with stainless steel you can disinfect them and keep them in humid places without worrying about rusting but the plastic parts might gather bacteria and mold after a while so you want to clean those often.
Now you know not only why keeping your fingernails trim and clean is important but also what you can do to keep them that way and what tools can help you achieve it.
If you have any questions, suggestions or doubts leave a comment!
Thank you for reading.